"Blessed are the Mothers who love to fight life's battles bravely with a strong and steadfast faith in God,
for their children shall know where to find strength in time of need."

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Life-long dream!

2011 was a good year for me!  I have accomplished my life long dream of being a *junior* baker. I just realized that I would have wanted to be a Pastry Chef if I was given the opportunity before. But I have no regrets, I am happy and content with what I have become. I had a fruitful career in IT for 10 years and now a full-time housewife and mommy. God designed the path where I'm going and I will stick to his wonderful plans for me. Now I am just utilizing whatever talents the Lord has endowed me with.

I had more free time at home when both of my kids started to stay longer in school. It began my yearning for my first love, cooking but more on baking. I started collecting recipe books and magazines. Although I have no formal baking or cooking lessons, I just follow recipes that interest me.

Matt and I share the same habit of browsing recipes again and again. During our free time, we (including Belle) bond in the kitchen by baking simple stuffs like cookies, muffins and easy-to-do cakes. More and more I became interested in decorating cakes.

The best opportunity came along when I learned about Wilton Cake Decorating courses held regularly in Gourdo's World Market at Alabang Town Center. I was able to attend all three courses with Chef Peachy Juban, a Certified Wilton Method Instructor.  She is currently a chef-instructor at De La Salle - College of St. Benilde (Hotel, Restaurant and Institution Management)  and also the owner of Shortcrust Cake Shop at BF, Paranaque.  I am a big fan of her decorated cakes! They're awesome and serve as my inspiration to create my own.

Course 1 Wilton's Cake Decorating Basics (August 13 &14, 2011.)  It was the perfect place to start.  We were taught the right way to decorate step by step. I've learned the techniques of making flowers and other designs using butter cream icing.




Course 2 Flower and Cake Design (September 13 & 14, 2011)  In this course, I was able to create beautiful flowers using Royal Icing.  Gum Paste was also introduced.




Course 3 Gum Paste and Fondant  (September 13 & 14, 2011)  This is what I really love best!  I've always been fascinated with fondant cakes.  Making them is just so exciting and very satisfying! I now have the confidence to create cakes that I can share with my family and friends when I have the time. That is when there is no conflict in my schedule in my first job of being the primary caregiver, driver, teacher, etc.. of my kids. :)


Pictures taken by my hubby behind the glass door
My Flower Pot (100% edible)
According to Chef Peachy,  she's happy that I was in her class and I'm very attentive :) Yes I really absorbed what I have learned during the courses. I've baked and decorated a number of cakes, cupcakes and cookies for the past months. I know I need more practice and I still have a long long way to go. Here are some of my creations:



This year is very exciting! Belle is already choosing what cake she wants for her 6th birthday this May. I hope I can live up to her expectation. I plan to make more decorated cakes like these soon!



I will try to take formal lessons in baking in the near future. I would love to do other cakes like Tiramisu, Strawberry Shortcake, Sans Rival, Chocolate Mousse, and pies, tarts, pastries and the list goes on and on....

Maybe *just maybe* someday, I can put up my own bakeshop too! Libre lang naman ang mangarap diba? :)

4 comments:

  1. I'm sure all your dreams and wishes will come true!!! <3 And I'll be your #1 customer!!! :-*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jane! Sana nga... in God's time :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. God is great!!! I'm with you in praying for that bakeshop of yours...:-) and i'm sure it will be the FIRST GREEN BAKESHOP! *excited*

    ReplyDelete