"Blessed are the Mothers who love to fight life's battles bravely with a strong and steadfast faith in God,
for their children shall know where to find strength in time of need."

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

From my Kitchen: Chewy Chocolate Meringues


I've always been planning to make meringue but didn't have a chance. There are egg whites left in the fridge when I made my leche flan (one of my specialties.) It would be a shame if they spoil.  So I started surfing the net for an easy recipe.  I saw a very tempting picture of chocolate meringues and it only needs 4 ingredients.  I know the kids (and Daddy) will love it!  

The complete recipe can be found at the end of this post.  Unfortunately, I was not able to take pictures step by step. Next time, I'll make sure to document my baking adventures.

Mixture of egg whites, sugar, cocoa powder, Hershey's milk chocolate (chopped)

I used an ice cream scoop to drop even amounts on the baking sheet

Meringue after less than 20 minutes
Ready to eat! Soft and chewy inside with bits of chopped chocolates

I'm glad I tried this recipe. Quoting from the website "No need to try and make anything look perfect. These are already perfectly imperfect."  It's so chocolatey yummy. 


Chewy Chocolate Meringues (adapted from Home Baked Comfort)
1 cup (8 fl oz / 250 ml) large egg whites – about 7
2 cups (1 lb / 500 g) sugar
5 tbsp (1 oz / 30 g) natural cocoa powder
4 oz (125 g) bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
4 oz (125 g) cocoa nibs*
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
  • In a clean, dry heatproof bowl, whisk together egg whites and sugar. Set over, but not touching, simmering water in a saucepan.
  • Whisk constantly until the sugar is completely dissolved and remove from heat. (there should be no sugar granules)
  • Beat the eggs on high using your mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat until stiff and glossy.
  • Sift cocoa over the meringue. Sprinkle chopped chocolate (and cocoa nibs if you’re using) on top.
  • Then, fold together gently with a spatula until combined.
  • Use a scoop to drop even amounts of batter onto prepared baking sheets about two inches apart.
  • Bake for about 8-9 minutes. Rotate the pans and bake for another 8-9 minutes until the cookies are fluffy and full of cracks.
  • Transfer the cookies, leaving them on the parchment paper, to wire racks to cool.
The recipe calls for bittersweet chocolate but I only have Hershey's Milk chocolate. * I also don't have cocoa nibs but the cookies still tasted so good! 

3 comments:

  1. Jena is looking forward to your step-by-step guide!! \m/ she loves to bake but her epochs of a mom is kitchen clueless hahaha! Thanks for always sharing! :-*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant doofus, not epochs ( I don't even know what that means! :)) it's this auto-spell thing on iPad sigh!)

    Anyway, do u think we can substitute the sugar for splenda? Worth a try right? These look soooooo yummy!!!!! Something to do during the school break, I just hope I don't go into diabetic shock, hahaha! :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I'm not so sure kung how much splenda you can substitute. Or maybe you can just half the brown sugar. Pero kahit san mo tingnan sinful talaga ito... Si Louie nga di rin makapigil :)

    ReplyDelete