"Blessed are the Mothers who love to fight life's battles bravely with a strong and steadfast faith in God,
for their children shall know where to find strength in time of need."

Thursday, December 08, 2011

From my Kitchen: Christmas Tree Cookies

This is the first time I tried making Roll-Out Cookies.  I've been seeing lots of ideas from magazines and internet so I think this is the best time to do it using my Wilton Christmas Tree cookie cutter from my good friend Jinky.

I used the recipe at the back of the label. I like it because there's no need to chill the dough and you can bake the cookies right away.

Roll-Out Cookie Recipe

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon no-color almond extract
  • 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt

* Makes about 3 dozen 3-in. cookies.


Instructions:

1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. 

2. In large bowl, beat butter and sugar with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and extracts. Mix flour, baking powder and salt; add to butter mixture 1 cup at a time, mixing after each addition. Do not chill dough. Divide dough into 2 balls.

3. On floured surface, roll each ball into a circle approximately 12 in. diameter x 1/8 in. thick. Dip cookie cutter in flour before each use. Bake cookies on ungreased cookie sheet 8-11 minutes or until cookies are lightly browned. 

 

Sorry I was not able to take pictures when I was baking. It's so hard to hold a camera when your hands are full of flour!

After preparing the icing using Wilton Color Flow Mix (I just added Confectioners' sugar and water), we are now ready to decorate our cookies. Royal icing can also be used.

 

First pipe the borders and let it dry first (Medyo sunog ang cookies!)
Belle and her friend Sophie "flooding" the cookies with thinned icing


Seriously decorating her tree

Toothpick can be used to drag red dots to make stars. Just noticed that it looks like Tink is holding the cookie :)
Sophie's cookies with sprinkles
Who wants our cookies?
Need to wait for at least 8 hours for the icing to dry
More cookies to decorate!!!

It was such an enjoyable activity for the kids and the moms as well. We'll definitely do this more often!

1 comment:

  1. Who wants your cookies Belle?? I want I want!!!Its good that you involve Belle n her frnds in you baking Sharon.I must involve Vinisha too...:)

    ReplyDelete