"Blessed are the Mothers who love to fight life's battles bravely with a strong and steadfast faith in God,
for their children shall know where to find strength in time of need."

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Matt turned 12!

How time flies! My son is no longer a baby, Matt just turned 12 yesterday!

I've been very very busy last week! I was reviewing him for his 3rd quarterly exams, shopping and wrapping Christmas gifts and preparing for his birthday celebrations in school and at home. It was very special this year simply because I did not buy a cake from Goldilocks or Red Ribbon. I personally made his birthday cakes! A bit ambitious but I took the challenge of making my very first fondant Angry Birds cake and cupcakes for his party in school. 

Let me just share the highlights...

Dec 13. It was already 10pm when I started preparing the fondant and gumpaste mixture for the cupcake topper.  It's almost midnight when I finished my first red bird!


Dec 14. 1 am. I'm getting better!  4 red birds and a black bird :)


4:30am  Done with 16 birds and 4 pigs!  My fingers were already numb but I was so pleased with my creation.  Time to sleep, the kids will be waking up at 6am!


3pm.  Started baking the chocolate pound cake followed by the chocolate cupcakes.  I was not able to take pictures as I was running out of time. I only have less than 20 hours to finish everything!

Here's the big red angry bird cake


11:30pm.  Finally done baking the cupcakes!  It's time to rest my back.  Have to wake up early the following day.

Dec 15. 7:30 am After the kids went off to school. I started to make the chocolate frosting for the cupcakes and immediately assembled them.  Have to move faster... the party is at 10:30am!!!!  We're also cooking Spaghetti, Fried Chicken and Hotdogs all at the same time!  Thanks to my very dependable cook and Matt's yaya, Ate Fe. Our kitchen was extremely busy!

10 am. All set but I have to pick up Belle first. She doesn't want to miss Kuya's party so I asked permission if she can leave early (her classes usually ends at 1:30pm)

Group picture first!

10:55am They were already playing games when we arrived in school. I anticipated that we will be little late that's why I already sent the balloons and prizes earlier so they can start on time.  

The cakes looked so nice in my new cupcake holder/tower!


Kids were so trilled when they saw the cupcakes! Everybody loves Angry Birds games, holding them in their hands is just as exciting :) 

"Kuya Matt, make a wish and blow your 12 little candles"


They were all excited to take home their cupcakes and it was so heartwarming to see big smiles on their faces. I didn't feel tired anymore :)

Dec 19. Day before his actual birthday.  It was the first time we invited his teachers, therapists and the families of his closest friends Kyle, Gino and Sean.  Matt kept on mentioning how happy he was to see them all gathered at home.
Trails family
Optimal family
The 3 talls boys at the back are Sean, Gino and Kyle
Of course, Mommy had to bake another cake again.  This time it was Chocolate Cream Cheese cake with Chocolate ganache.

It was indeed a joy to be with very special people who contributed to Matt's physical, social, emotional and mental development through the years. We really appreciate that you have spent a few hours to celebrate with us despite your busy schedules. Big thanks to all of you!!!


Matt's previous teachers and a classmate who are now based out of the country (plus three celebrities c/o Auntie Ruth and Tita Anna Bautista) also sent their birthday greetings on video via email.  Daddy Louie lovingly compiled them to make his birthday more extra special.



Next year you'll be a teenager already! I promise it will be another great year worth celebrating. We love you so much, Matt! 

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow...what a pleasure going through your blog and especially this one!! Well I'm no good at baking or cooking but I really admire you for staying up all night to make them-they look so fabulous!!I can't see any place to follow you here, but would definitely like to keep in touch with you and the family, esp. Matt of course..God Bless! Love, Jacqueline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for all your nice words here and on the other posts! I really enjoyed doing Matt's birthday cakes. In fact, I'm already planning for his 13th birthday party this coming December :) God bless you too!

      Delete